This E-Text © 2000, 2013 Pass the WORD Services.
E-Text Copyright renews with each published update.
On-line at PTW: March 28, 2000
Last update: July 1, 2013
Published by the Shakers in 1894
(continued from Previous File)
1. What sign did the Prophet see in heaven, after he had given a summary description of the work of the seventh trumpet? Rev. 12:1.
2. What was the meaning of this sign?
16. What mystery of God did our Mother Ann make known to mortals who were seeking salvation and power over sin?
17. How did she prove this?
18. Did she then conclude that to struggle against the whole world, a false church, and the evil in her own nature was of no use, and surrender to the enemy?
19. Please name some special achievements.
20. What then did she do? Did she rest in the heaven of her own attainments, supposing she had done all that was required of her in achieving her own redemption?
21. How did the votaries of pleasure receive this new Messenger of the Covenant; this Exposer of sham and hypocrisy, who spoiled the wares of Babylon, and ministered eternal life to all who would pay the price and take it?
22. What success did she have in her heaven appointed mission?
23. Who was Ann Lee?
24. What testimony is recorded of Mother's spiritual attainment, in the last year of her mortal life?
25. What did Mother say, when Sarah related her vision?
26. Did Jesus say Beware of false prophets that come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravening wolves? Matt. 7:15-20.
27. What are we taught by the application of this principle?
28. Can you name one striking particular in which those who received Mother Ann's testimony bore like fruit to those who received the testimony of Jesus, by the mouth of the Apostles?
29. What are some of the sayings of Jesus, fulfilled in this order of life, which worldly Teachers reject, or explain away?
35. In what respect is the organization of Believers in Christ's second appearing in advance of that of the Primitive Church?
36. What is supposed by some, to be the cause of the great apostasy from the order of the Primitive Church?
37. Does Mother Ann's testimony require the same sacrifices and self-denials that Jesus taught in his day?
38. Do these fetter and confine the creature to the rudiments of a carnal life?
49. Has this spirit of falsehood, enmity, jealousy, and murderous hate, been mixed with the religious element of the human mind from the earliest period of history to the present day?
50. Can a true disciple of Jesus persecute?
51. How was this state of things terminated?
52. What announcement was made immediately after this?
53. Does this show that a warfare in spirit, against the evils in our own heart, represented by the dragon, must precede in us, salvation, power over temptation, the reign of God, and the authority of His Anointed ones?
54. Were those to whom the Law and Prophets were given, in a mixed state of good and evil, light and darkness, till Christ brought into the world a higher law and perfect standard of righteousness for people to live by?
55. Must the separation between these opposing principles be made in the heart, to be effectual, by weeding out the tares, and casting out the cause of them so quickly as to prevent further sowing of the same?
56. Does this warfare continue in the travail of regeneration, till the creature gains complete victory over the beast and his image, and the number of his name?
57. How do the victors overcome in this warfare?
58. Is this testimony the sharp sword that goeth out of the mouth? Rev. 1:16; 2:16.
62. What does the Old Testament say of the power of the tongue?
63. What is said of the wicked tongue?
64. Can we be justified, and obey the law of love, and have the truth to fight for us, if we turn this little weapon against each other, to wound, or chafe, or belittle the character of any fellow pilgrim on life's journey?
65. What says the Apostle James about bridling the tongue?
66. How does he characterize the unbridled tongue?
67. Is it from the tongue that all this evil or good proceeds, or from the heart that moves the tongue?
68. What is the Christian rule of private judgment?
69. Is the tongue the index of the heart?
70. What does our inspired psalmody teach us on this subject?
~ End of Part 1, Chapter 7 ~
1. What is the meaning of the word holy?
2. What truth?
3. What is the Holy Spirit of Christ's baptism?
4. What did Jesus say the Spirit of truth would do for his disciples?
5. Did he also say The world cannot receive the Spirit of truth, because they see it not, nor know it?
6. What effect would its work in the disciples, have upon the world?
7. What further did Jesus reveal of this Holy Spirit?
8. When Jesus was about to depart, did he say I will not leave you ORPHANS (Gr.) I will ask the Father, and He will send you another Comforter, or Helper? John 14:16-18. Margin
9. Did Jesus say he had made known to his disciples all things he had heard from his Father? John 15:15.
10. Is the Son declared to be the image of the invisible God? Col. 1:15.
11. Did the Bridegroom in Jesus, testify, I am the truth? John 14:6.
12. Did Jesus say All things that the Father hath are mine?
13. Whose province is this?
21. Does the Apostle tell us, Of His own will begat He us by the word of truth?
22. Has the truth sex?
23. Is there any other element or figure that will serve to illustrate the Dual Cause of beings, without involving man's idea of sex?
24. What does intelligent observation disclose?
25. What was the state of the Apostles before they were baptized with the Holy Spirit?
26. What is their aspect afterward?
27. What effect had the baptism of the Holy Spirit on the people at large?
28. What prediction uttered by Jesus, was hereby verified?
29. Does this allude to the Son of man coming with the clouds of heaven, spoken of by Daniel, 7:13, 14?
30. Can people assemble and form these clouds without renouncing the selfish, grasping instincts of avarice, and of ambition to be great?
31. Was this the beginning of the everlasting kingdom of the saints?
32. What was the order of their work through that gloomy period in which the Witnesses were clothed in sackcloth, and the Beast made war upon and killed the saints? Rev. 11:3, 7.
36. What is the testimony of the Witnesses who wrote Mother's history for people that never saw her?
37. What relation did she claim to Jesus?
38. Did Mother's labor concern more the cleansing of the inner sanctuary of the human temple that is, the affections of the heart?
39. How did she impress hearers of her word?
40. What testimony does Daniel Moseley give on this subject?
41. Did the wicked hate her testimony?
47. Are there two kinds of wisdom mentioned in Scripture?
48. What terms are used to signify its opposite?
49. What effect has this worldly wisdom upon character?
50. What says an Apostle of these opposite spirits, called wisdom?
51. What is said of the true kind, in the Wisdom of Solomon? (Apocrypha)
52. What other testimony to the order and office of Wisdom, do we find in Scripture?
53. Will you repeat what is testified of Her in Proverbs?
92. What are some of the prophecies fulfilled by the appearing of Christ in womanhood?
93. More are the children of the desolate, than the children of the married wife, saith Jehovah. What are we taught by this?
94. Does the Apostle say They that sow to the flesh, shall of the flesh reap corruption?
~ End of Part 1, Chapter 9 ~
True Life and Doctrine
1. Why do not Shakers marry and conform to the customs of the world?
2. Can you give any other reason for this singularity?
3. What other reason have Believers in Christ for rejecting marriage?
4. What is implied by the term virgin?
5. What is meant by the term, A Virgin Life?
6. What eminent examples are there of characters formed by such a life?
7. Why does the faith of Shakers require them to live the Virgin Life?
8. What other reason have we for maintaining the Virgin character?
9. What is meant by the term holy?
10. What do the Scriptures teach concerning our duty to be holy?
11. Who are the Saints or the Holy Ones to whom is given the final dominion of the world in the days of Messiah, which is the reign of the Anointed?
12. What was signified by the holy place of the Jewish temple, which none but those who served in the temple might enter, unless they were ceremonially clean, although animals were there killed for sacrifices. And a holy of holies containing the Cherubim, the Ark of the Covenant and the Mercy seat, where only the Chief Priest might enter, once a year, on the solemn Day of Atonement, not without blood? Lev. 16:2, 17, 34; 22:3, 4. Num. 17:13; 18:22. Heb, 9:1-16.
13. Can married people while living as husband and wife be holy as Christ and his people are holy?
14. What testimony of Jesus confirms this statement?
15. What does the Apostle say is the difference between the married and the unmarried with respect to holiness?
16. What discovery is made by those who are called to forsake the marriage relation for the Kingdom of God?
17. What more does the Apostle say on the subject?
18. What truism did Jesus utter about serving two masters?
19. How is this manifested in daily practice?
20. What does Jesus cite as the first and greatest commandment?
21. What is the second?
22. What is implied in this last statement?
23. What does the Apostle say is the fulfilling of the law?
24. What is the doctrine taught in these Scriptures?
25. What is the testimony of Jesus on this vital subject?
26. What is meant by the phrase, resurrection from the dead?
27. Is the resurrection a spiritual or a physical process?
28. How, then, can married people become children of the resurrection?
29. When Peter said, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee, how did Jesus reply to him?
30. In the parable of the supper, which one of the invited guests was unable to comply?
31. What more on this subject did Jesus say to the multitudes that followed him?
32. Are we to understand by this that Jesus taught his disciples to hate people or persons?
33. Do Shakers desire to weaken the just obligations of marriage on those who populate the world?
34. Does the Apostle testify that marriage is honorable in all?
35. Of what is orderly natural marriage regarded as a type?
36. Does the same Apostle testify that the gospel preached by him, is not according to man, and he did not receive it from man, nor was he taught it but by a revelation of Jesus Christ? Gal. 1:11, 12.
37. What is the purport of Let each have his own wife, and her own husband?
38. What was the Apostle's instruction to Timothy about receiving widows under 60 years of age, into the select, faithful number?
39. What is the inevitable deduction from this statement?
40. Why then did the Apostle counsel such to marry and guide the house, etc.?
41. Is an orderly, moral course in nature, better than an idle, lawless course of self-indulgence under the cloak of a religious or Shaker profession?
42. What is the lesson conveyed in the saying of Jesus; My kingdom is not of this world; and concerning his disciples. They are not of the world even as I am not of the world; I have chosen you out of the world. John 18:36; 17:16; 15:19.
43. What is the effect of that impartial love which rules his kingdom?
44. Did Paul write The Bishop must be blameless, the husband of one wife, Let Deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well?
45. Did the Apostle write to Timothy that The woman having been deceived and fallen into transgression shall be saved through child bearing?
46. Do Shakers forbid to marry?
47. How then, is forbidding to marry a sign of departure from the faith?
48. What did Mother Ann say to Daniel Moseley referring to this real or supposed mark of apostasy?
49. When Jesus explained the law of marriage and divorce to the crafty Pharisees, what impression did he make on the minds of his disciples?
50. What reply did Jesus make to this conclusion of theirs?
51. What lesson is contained in these statements?
52. To whom is this exalted boon given?
53. What promise in the Prophets was made to eunuchs that could not be fulfilled under the Old Covenant, but which is here explained and fulfilled in the New?
54. Does the Apostle, referring to the law of a carnal commandment, say the wife is bound by the husband so long as the husband liveth? And is not the husband also bound by the wife?
55. Did Jesus say, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth? Matt. 28:18. John 3:35.
56. What is the character of the one hundred and forty-four thousand who stand with the Lamb on Mount Zion?
57. What promise is made to the virgin character when the Lord shall gather Israel and keep him as a Shepherd does his flock, evidently alluding to the reign of Messiah?
58. Will you sing or repeat the words of their song?
59. Will you sing or repeat another psalm ?
60. What was Mother Ann's testimony to married people?
61. What did Mother Ann say to liberate a young man who was bound in his affections?
62. What did Mother Lucy Wright witness to Mother Ann's testimony on this subject?
63. What did Mother Ann say was her relation to Christ?
64. Did Mother Ann revive the testimony of Jesus and the cross of Christ, and administer to those who received her teaching, power to live without sin, which, according to their own confession, no church of married people or married preacher is able to do?
65. How do we regard the Messenger who brought the testimony that convicted us of a sinful nature, of a judgment that cleanses, of righteousness to be gained, and compassed us with wisdom and knowledge to so apply the one as to make sure of the other?
66. If any who are called to this Virgin Order, by the hearing of faith, refuse to comply, what follows?
67. What is taught in the parable of the great supper, which those who were invited, refused to attend on account of selfish, worldly interests?
68. What doom was pronounced on those who declined the invitation?
69. Mother Ann said, They who finally reject this gospel, will never have another day. How is this to be understood?
70. What did Mother Ann say concerning loss of souls?
71. Did Jesus utter anything of similar purport? Matt. 12:43-45. Luke 11:24-26.
72. Will you name some of the promises given those who receive and obey unto final victory and redemption from evil?
When all the affections, desires, willpower and action of the spirit are controlled by the earnest wish to do everything in unison with the will and law of the Great First Cause, Ye can ask what ye will and it shall be done for you.
~ End of Part 2, Chapter 1 ~
More Excerpts from the Morning Star Pearly Gate Bible Lessons
Index of Other: Shaker Manuscripts On-Line
Printing the Manuscripts: For step by step instructions, how to possibly deal with printer problems, how to customize page headers/footers, suggestions for those with no computer/printer, and more information about the on-line documents at PasstheWORD.
Please report typographical errors to the Site Stewards.